Friday, February 19, 2016

Pin Fail: Flower Girl Tutu

Pin Fail: Flower Girl Tutu



Inspiration: Images from the Pinterest universe.


Cost/Materials: I bought a few yards of tulle, and a thick (about 1.5") elastic to use as the waist band. I couponed and probably spent about $10 total on materials between the coral pink tulle, the sparkly yellow tulle, and the elastic.

How I Did It: I used the strategy that involves cutting 5" or so thick strips of tulle and then simply tying them around the waist band and scrunching all the knots together. I'm going to direct you to another post to see how to do it, rather than trying to re-write the directions: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-No-Sew-Tutu

The Outcome: Bad! What I wanted was something flowy looking like my pinterest inspiration, but I don't have sewing skills, and when I googled for a "no-sew" tutu... well, I ended up making a "no-sew" tutu which is a totally different type.




Lessons Learned/Tips: Unless you know what you're doing, apparel DIY is probably something to skip for a wedding. Also, glittery tulle leaves sparkles EVERYWHERE.

Would I Do It Again: Nope. Nope, nope, nope. We are buying a flower girl dress off of Amazon instead. I think when I was trying to make this I was of the mindset that our dress needed to look like those fancy Etsy ones that you pay $50-100 to have someone make. "I can make that myself," I thought. Well... I kind of could, but it wasn't that good, and it ends up Amazon has cute dresses for less than the Etsy ones cost.




No comments:

Post a Comment