Thursday, June 25, 2015

Project: Ring Box

Project: RingBox

Inspiration: Online inspiration for ring boxes is all over the place, from traditional pillows to oversize seashells. For mine, I knew I wanted two things: security (particularly if we are going to put the real rings in there as opposed to placeholder ones), and for the rings to look pretty! I found images of rings on moss/natural greenery looked particularly nice, so I decided I'd do a box with some moss inside.



Cost/Materials: The box itself I got for $1 at a craft store. I actually bought a couple different ones since they were so cheap; one option had a magnetic element that held it shut, but I liked the one with the actual hinge lock better. Plus, it looked sort of like a mini treasure-chest, and I thought our ring bearer would like that. The moss is overpriced at crafts stores - buy it elsewhere if you can! I got my bag (pictured) of reindeer moss at Dollar Tree for $1 and there is PLENTY in it to do this and probably some other projects if I think of any.

How I Did It: I used that handy-dandy wood burning tool to put our initials with the letter stamps, then freehanded with the "flow" point the heart, plus sign, and our date. Then I stained it up, added some moss once it was dry, and popped my own ring in to see how it would look

The Outcome: I love it! It didn't come out perfect (e.g., the letters are on slightly different horizontal planes), but I am totally okay with it. It's supposed to have that sort of hand-made, hand-loved look. 

Lessons Learned/Tips: For security, I did add some little eye hooks ($1 for a bag of 20) into the side of the box, so I have the option of tying the rings into it with a ribbon, just in case the box falls and is knocked open. You can get an idea of what that looks like in this picture. It shows a little decorative burlap in the bottom, which I ultimately ended up not going with because the moss looks so. much. cooler.

Also, when I originally tried this project with a different box (the magnetic one, that I ended up not going with), I closed the box after staining it, and it got stuck shut! I was able to pry it open, but be sure not to do something like this, as funny as it might be to see the best man struggle to get the rings out. :)

Would I Do It Again: Yup! Easy, and way cheaper than buying some fancy box online or in a store, plus you'll get to keep it around for ring storage if you need it. (I personally use a metal giraffe figurine ring holder... and I announce "regal giraffe!" roughly half the time when I put my ring on it). 

No comments:

Post a Comment